Greggory R. Garrett is the CEO and Managing Director of CGS Advisors, a boutique strategy and innovation advisory firm. As such he pushes the limits of corporate cultures by developing and implementing unique strategies that capitalize on technology-oriented disruptions to industries and markets. In 2017 he founded and chairs Connected Detroit Innovates, a membership-based business renewal accelerator made up of Chief Innovation Officers.
Gregg has received numerous professional and civic accolades. He is a member of Oakland County’s 2015 40 under 40, a recipient of Oakland University’s Distinguished Alumni Service Award, a Rotary International Paul Harris Fellow, amongst others.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why starting his first company at age 16 set Gregg on the path to lifelong entrepreneurship
- Why Gregg chose to leave his previous employer and create CGS Advisors, and what work CGS does for their clients
- Why Gregg titled his book “Competing in the Connecting World: The Future of Your Industry is Already Here”
- How the idea for Gregg’s book came about, and why the writing of the book happened organically as his ideas spread
- Which important lessons Gregg feels are the biggest takeaways from his book, and how to take action on those points
- Why complacency is dangerous, and why mid-sized firms who are doing “well enough” are often adversely affected by new technologies
- Why “structural inertia” and “dominant logic inertia” are the two main threats to a company that can cause it to stand still
- How to break out of your own patterns and take brave steps to shake up your business
- What influential lesson Gregg learned from his grandfather that shaped his career and business philosophies
- What four key strategies and pieces of advice Gregg wants to share with business owners